Student Spotlight: Meagan Goggans

For this week's Student Spotlight, we're interviewing Meagan Goggans! Meagan has a knack for supporting her classmates- it's one of the many reasons she makes a great Health and Fitness Co-Chair for the Class of 2020. As you'll be able to tell in her interview, she's also hilarious and can be counted on to make her classmates laugh, even during stressful situations. Without further ado, here's her interview!

Undergraduate University: The University of Texas at Austin
Undergrad Major: B.S. in Psychology
What made you interested in healthcare administration?
I think – like a lot of my classmates – I originally found myself drawn to the healthcare field from an early age. My mother is an ICU nurse and growing up I had always admired her for her  work ethic, ability to put others first, and her desire to never stop learning in a constantly changing environment. I have done my best to learn from her and emulate these qualities, and it was through my mother that I found my passion for health care. I went into undergrad with the idea that I would end up in medical school, then quickly figured out that was not the right path for me (on account of the blood). However, in my heart, I still knew that I needed to pursue a career in this field that I found interesting and fulfilling. During my search, I was lucky enough to have an alum of the program point me in the direction of Trinity. I had previously worked as an assistant at a sports and rehabilitation clinic and remembered how much I had enjoyed both the business and clinical aspect of the job. Health care administration seemed like a perfect fit. I knew that by going to Trinity, I would be able to grow as a leader, advocate for the wellbeing of others, and be at the intersection of business and health care.
What has been your favorite part of the program?
My favorite part has been Cleveland Clinic, but more specifically the dance parties my group would have in our room. Finished with our SWOT analysis? Dance break. Wrote up our entire story board? Dance celebration. Getting tired of each other after spending 70 hours together? Never, but we danced anyway.

What made you decide to apply to Trinity?
I think that the close-knit, family culture drew me in the most. I remember when I was researching the program I could tell that the cohort was really close and spent a lot of time together, something that I did not find at a large university. When I came in for my interview, the professors all talked about their open door policy for students. I knew that if I went to Trinity, that I would be part of a culture where students come first.

What part of the program are you the most excited about?
I am extremely excited to find out where I will spend my year long residency, but before that, I’m looking forward to playing sand volleyball with the IM team in the Fall semester. We are going to train, we are going to win, and we are going to take a trophy home to the HCAD office.
If you could give any advice to yourself right before you started the program, what would it be?
“Hey Meagan, it’s me, Meagan. Make the most out of every class, assignment, and project that comes your way, and also ask if Erika and Marisela can make you an all access key card to CSI. There will be some days that you will want to stay past midnight, and CSI is the only 24 hour building on campus.”




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annual Women's Forum

Student Spotlight: Ashraf Ali

ACHE Congress? We've Bean There!