Student Spotlight: Andrea (Andi) Fernandez


For this week's Student Spotlight, we're interviewing Andi Fernandez! Andi is Preceptors Conference Co-Chair for the Class of 2020 as well as the class' resident baker and dog mom to her adorable golden doodle Bentley. You can always count on Andi for optimism and positivity. We're so lucky to have her in the program, here's her interview!

Undergraduate University: Baylor University

Undergrad Major: Bachelor of Science in Biology

What made you interested in healthcare administration? 
I always wanted to be involved in healthcare and thought the only way to do that was by going to medical school and becoming a doctor. It wasn’t until my junior year of college when I was pursuing a minor in business administration and involved in various leadership positions that I began to see a different path for myself.  These experiences led me to realize I loved the business side of healthcare.

What made you decide to apply to Trinity? 
After researching programs that offered healthcare administration and speaking with current students, I realized that Trinity was the best school for me. What helped seal the deal for me was getting the opportunity to meet the faculty and staff members of Trinity HCAD as well as the one–year residency program they offer for all students. I believe this is a very valuable part of the program and is something that really sets the program apart from others!

What has been your favorite part of the program? 
So far, I have enjoyed getting to know all of my classmates and spending time with them both in school and outside of the program! We all get along with one another and it speaks volumes to the family atmosphere that you experience at Trinity. Additionally, our Friday morning visits have been very valuable in helping gain familiarity with the industry.

What part of the program are you the most excited about? 
I’m really excited to continue growing as a leader and to take the skills we learn in classes into our residencies. I believe this is a really special opportunity for HCAD students and I can’t wait to see how we all learn and grow!

If you could give any advice to yourself right before you started the program, what would it be? Be open and be yourself! This program welcomes some of the brightest young leaders and we are all working together to change the healthcare landscape for the better! The best thing a new student can do is to be themselves and be open to all that the program has to offer.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ACHE Congress? We've Bean There!

Annual Women's Forum

Student Spotlight: Ashraf Ali